In August 2015 Different Strokes were awarded the contract to undergo major wood repair and decorating to a development of 20 old and historic properties in the centre of Ambleside. The properties consisted of homes, shops, a café and guest house, all of which were fully operational throughout the duration of works.
Scope of Works
All areas required scaffolding and most of the woodwork needed major repair in the form of specialist splicing and resin techniques, paying great attention to detail to every little crack and soft substrate enabling a much lengthened maintenance cycle. Some window casements and doors needed full replacement, all defective putties where replaced with a non cracking flexible alternative. Some areas required a fungicidal treatment and washing and stabilising and preservative primer to the bare areas.
Walls and all wood and metalwork was painted using the Dulux WeathershieldSystem.
Scope of Works
Different Strokes were successful in winning the bid for painting and decorating works at Storrs Hall in the Summer of 2013. The external works included erecting access platforms, preparing masonry and applying stabilizing solution plus two coats of masonry paint. All works included the wood and metal work which we prepared then used one coat of undercoat and one of gloss to the windows and one coat of metal shield paint to the metalwork. The works then consisted of the phased painting of the external areas, including the front pillars and balconies.
The hotel is a luxury hotel on the banks of Lake Windermere and the Client had a duty to her Customers staying at the hotel. The building was fully occupied whilst the works were being carried out therefore upmost attention had to be taken not to disrupt the guests.
Project:Abbey House Hotel
Client:Abbey House Hotel
Introduction and History
In December 2013, Different Strokes were awarded a three month contract to decorate the Grade II Listed, Abbey House Hotel, which takes its name from Furness Abbey. Set in 14 acres of woodland, the hotel was originally built by Sir Edward Lutyensin 1913 and used as a guesthouse until it was bought by the County Council in 1951. Used as an old peoples home and having suffered considerable neglect, it was sold by the council in 1984 and turned in to a hotel.
Scope of Works
The Hotel was to remain closed for three months whilst Phase I of the refurbishment was carried out. Due to the 100 year age of the building, the walls were in quite bad condition, with damp coming through. The lavish finish and the get it right first time factor, meant the refurbishment was extended to six months, with the Hotel phasing the re-opening of certain areas. Different Strokes decorated bedrooms, 5 Suites, all Public Areas including Oscars Bar and Brasserie and the Great Hall. Most of the walls that we papered had to be lined first due to their uneven surface. Luxurious wall coverings and high quality Farrow and Ball paints were specified throughout. The Hotel wanted to keep the traditional feel to the Great Hall and a white wash was used to create the aged effect of the timber panels.